Residential Below Third
Address: 210 Bridge
Name: Applegate Residence
Year built: ~1870s
Built by: Oliver Overpeck
This residence, just above where the Pennsylvania Hotel stood, on the edge of the business district, was built by Oliver Overpeck. He and his brother Edward ran the Pennsylvania Hotel (next door) for a period; the 1885 directory also lists Oliver as operating the livery stable for the hotel. Oliver Overpeck left a wife, Emma, and child, Edward Luther Overpeck, who then moved to 511 Second Street. Emma worked as a clerk at H. W. Hunsicker’s Bee Hive. His son Edward worked as a messenger boy for the Western Union Company and as a jeweler at E. Keller & Son’s store; he died at the age of 23 in 1896 from ‘consumption’.
The 1876 map shows the residence here and the 1885 directory lists this as the home of Rebecca Johnson, widow of Henry, and her daughter Mary, an “artist”. Henry Johnson built the Henry Johnson Cold Steel Rolling Mill in Fullerton in 1880. From Havershow NY, he converted an old forge below Bierys Bridge into a bright steel mill to make watch and clock springs, flat keys, shuttles and plates for sewing machines, etc. He died in 1883 and the business was taken over by his son, George Johnson though Rebecca remained very active in the business.. Rebecca Johnson moved to Howertown Road; George resided on upper Front before moving across the river closer to the mill..George ran the business until his death in 1903, leaving a wife Emma and four children. Rebecca died in 1907. The process, invented by her husband left the family very wealthy.
In 1891, George Applegate purchased the home. In 1882 George’s father, Jacob, had opened J. Applegate & Sons Department Store at Second and Bridge (location of the current Catasauqua Market), and enlarged it in 1885. George was married to Emma Bower, daughtrer of George Bower who started a butcher business in town. Emma’s brother book over the business after their father became sheriff of Lehigh County. Bowers had a meat market beside the Applegate store on Second St.
The home stayed in the Applegate family until 1958, passing to George Applegate’s wife Emma upon his death in 1931 and to their granddaughter Grace, son Charles & wife Mary in 1949 after Emma died.
Other Site History:
Part of the 18 acres that was the John Peter farm, the land was sold to David Thomas in 1850. Thomas sold part of the parcel, which would be split up later into the residential lot and the corner business lot (NE corner of Second and Bridge), to Levi Hass in 1853. Haas sold it 6mo later to Wm Fegley, who sold it in 1857 to Harrison & Maria Hower. Hower built the Pennsylvania Hotel on the west side of the lot and in 1869, split off the eastern part of the lot (31 ft frontage on Bridge) to Edward Overpeck. Given the value of the sale, no building existed yet on the lot. He sold the lot to his brother Oliver in 1872 (the value of the property being only $800, suggests there was still no building on the lot). However upon Oliver’s death in 1884, Samuel Thomas (David Thomas’s son) purchased the property, with building, for $4,650, and resold the property for $4,250 in 1891 to George Applegate. Applegate would open the Catasauqua Department Store on the SW corner of Second and Bridge in 1893.
Oliver Overpeck left a wife, Emma, and child, Edward Luther Overpeck, who moved to 511 Second Street. His son Edward died at the age of 23 in 1896 from ‘consumption’. Emma worked as a clerk at H. W. Hunsicker’s Bee Hive. Edward worked as a messenger boy for the Western Union Company and as a jeweler at E. Keller & Son’s store.
The Italianate architectural style was popular in the Victorian era from the 1860s into the late 1880s. This style features wide overhanging eaves with brackets, cornices over the windows, two-story side bay window and balustrated porch over porch on the west side of the house, and a tall appearance. While the Italiante house typically had flat roofs, the taller roof may be a nod to the snow clime.
Entering the home through the tall arched doorway, the mahogany staircase has a curved base softening the straight line of the center hallway. Note the ornate wall mounted radiator in the hallway. Another 10 ft arched doorway leads into the front parlor. The parlor also features tall arched windows with a heavy bracketed cornice, typical of the Italiante style, crown molding and high baseboards. The downstairs formal rooms have the original oak floors framed with fruitwood inlays, and the upstairs has the original plank floors.
G. W. Applegate, one of the “Sons” in J. A. Applegate & Sons who ran the grocery on the corner of Bridge and Second in the 1880s, had a home nearby on Second St; its listed as 320 2nd in the 1890 directory.
Address: 225 Bridge St
Name: Dr. M. E. Hornbeck & Dr. James L. Hornbeck – Residence & Office
Year built: 1880
Built by: Joseph Hunt as spec home
Dr. M. E. Hornbeck was born in Allentown in 1842. His father was John Westbrook Hornbeck, a lawyer and member of the House of Representatives, as a contemporary of Abraham Lincoln and John Quincy Adams. His mother was the first post mistress appointed in Allentown, and came from a long line of doctors (Martin clan). He graduated from the Philadelphia School of Pharmacy in 1862 then served in the 128th Regiment of the PA Volunteer Infantry as the hospital steward at Chancellorsville and Fredericksburg. After mustering out, he studied medicine and graduated from the Univ. of Penn in 1865. He came to Catasauqua to assist his uncle, Dr. F. B, Martin. Three years later, his uncle died and Dr. M. E. Hornbeck took over his uncle’s practice.
In 1868, Dr M. E. Hornbeck married Mary Laubach, daughter of Judge Joseph Laubach and his wife, who was a member of the Swartz family (early property owners in Catasauqua). The judge held office in Northampton for 12 years and was a member of the US Senate in 1855.
His son James L. Hornbeck was born in 1873 and studied to be a biologist. In 1892, while running the office for his father’s practice, he entered medical school and graduated in 1895. After his father’s death in 1901, he succeeded him in his practice.
In 1901, he married Helen Thomas, daughter of James Thomas and Mary Davies Thomas. Their children were Thomas Molton, James Laubach, (Jr), and Dorothy Hornbeck. He was affiliated with St. Lukes Hospital. In addition to medical associations, he was a member of the Elks and Masons.
Other Site History:
This was lot 16 in the David Thomas subdivision and one of three homes that was built as a spec home by Joseph Hunt. Joseph hunt was the brother of Joshua Hunt, who married David Thomas’s daughter. Both brothers were involved in the management of the Crane Iron Works. Joseph later was associated with the Allentown Iron furnaces across the river below the Race St Bridge and was the US government’s agent for monitoring Bethlehem Steel production during WWI. The pre-1896 street number was 114 Bridge.
The Eastlake style of architecture, named for Charles Eastlake (1836-1906), is delineated by the use of simple, elegant, geometric shapes. Modern machine techniques of the era made it possible to repeat complex geometric patterns as seen on the inside plates of the door hinges and pocket-door lock plates in the home. This home features original, geometry-inspired stained glass in the front parlor, entry staircase landing, master bedroom, dining room and front parlor. The large space with separate entrance to the left of the front door served as the doctor’s waiting room and examination room (currently serving as a bathroom). The cabinetry in this space is original to the office. The mahogany porch floor was a recent update.
Address: 218-220 Bridge St
Name: Weaver Residence
Built by: D. Thomas & S. Thomas
The house below the Yoder house was originally built as twins facing an alley that cut between the two properties. The lot, contiguous to David Thomas’s home on Second & Pine, was owned by D. Thomas, and he likely had the double built to house his supervisors, one of which was Benjamin Weaver. Benjamin Weaver ws a descendant of the Frederick Weaver family who immigrated to this area in 1727. Benjamin Hines Weaver came to Catasauqua in 1859 as a mining agent for the Lehigh Crane Iron. Weaver enlisted in the First PA Volunteers, Co A out of Easton in 1861, and though he re-inlisted for three years, was injured and discharged in 1862. He was re-employed with the Crane as a mining agent, but later left the Crane, continuing as a free agent. His brother Valentine also worked at the Crane, apprenticing at age 20 in the machine shop, then becoming a mining agent. He later became asst. sup’t of the Thomas Iron In Hokendauqua and Lock Ridge. After a stint at Pine Grove furnace, Valentine returned in 1879 to take charge of the Coplay furnaces. He was married to Mary Mickley, daughter of Joseph Mickley of Whitehall.
Among the Weaver’s children here were Ralph and Harry. Harry started as an apprentice chemist for the Crane Iron in 1889 and went on to work for many iron furnaces in the region. Harry partnered with Bowen of Allentown in organizing the Allentown Iron Manufacturing Co, which focused on cold blast charcoal iron. In 1914 Harry became president of Lehigh Smelting (zinc). He was a member of the Catasauqua School Board and chaired the Education Committee for Catasauqua’s Old Home Week celebration in 1914. He later moved to Macungie, R. I. and bred beef cattle. He married Linnie Erdman of Catasauqua and they had six children. He passed away in 1943; his wife preceded him in death in 1910. Infomation about Benjamin’s son Ralph Weaver can be found in the Walking Tour section for Fourth St between Strawberry and Pine.
The house was later rebuilt as a double facing Bridge, probably circa 1890 by Samuel Thomas.
In 1900, Annie and John Weiss lived here along with their children (?) Della and Charles. John was a coachman.
Site History: This was part of one of three lots from the John Peter farm that was purchased from Peter in March 1850 by David Thomas. This lot was 18 acres and likely extended west of Howertown Road, between Bridge and Pine. The farm was subdivided into lots, but was not built out until after Thomas’s death: his son Samuel Thomas was owner of the property until 1903 when Edwin Thomas took over as owner. The property stayed with Edwin’s heirs until 1989, when it was purchased by the Holaskas.
Address: 228-230 Bridge St
Name: Dr. Daniel Yoder Residence
Year built: 1873
Built by: Dr. Yoder
Daniel Yoder was born in Berks County. His ancestors were Huguenots who came to this country in 1717 and settled in Oley Township, Berks. In 1834, his father moved to Whitehall and in 1847 settled on a farm in Bath. His mother was also of French Huguenot lineage, a Levan from Maxatawney Twp. Daniel, one of 11 children, schooled first in Northampton, continued his studies at Bethlehem, and then attended Vandeveer’s Academy in Easton, which was then one of the leading educational institutions of this part of the state. He taught school for a time, having charge of the Levan School, before taking up the study of medicine under Dr. Walter F. Martin, of WeaversviIle. The following year he enrolled as a student in the medical department of the University of Pennsylvania. Later he continued his studies in the Pennsylvania Medical College at Philadelphia, where he won the Doctor of Medicine degree upon his graduation with the class of 1855.
He moved to Catasauqua to practice medicine shortly after graduating. He joined Dr. F. B. Martin (Martin succeeded Romig, who was the first physician in Catasauqua). in 1858, before opening his own practice on Front St after Dr. Martin’s death. He practiced here for fifty years, becoming the oldest surviving Homeopathic physician in the Lehigh Valley and was a charter member of the Lehigh Valley Medical Society. He helped organize the Lehigh National Bank and was one of its directors. He served as a surgeon in the 38th Emergency Militia when Lee invaded PA.
In 1861 he married Amanda E. Glace, daughter of Samuel and Isabella (Swartz) Glace of 307 Bridge St. They had no children but adopted several nieces and a nephew, namely: Minnie, Jennie, Annie, Isabel, and Thomas McHose. Of these, Annie married a Mr. Ziegenfus; Jennie became the wife of E. E. Heimbach; and Isabel married George Dreisbach here in Catasauqua.
The 1928-1930 directories lists this as the home of Fred P and Martha A. Diener. Fred was a chemist. He was a 1916 grad of Allentown HS. They moved here from 112 Second.
Other Site History: Site of the original farm house for the 11 acre Breisch farm. The farmhouse was built by Gross, an earlier farmer. Henry Breisch married Catherine, the widow of Henry Faust, of the neighboring Faust Farm. When Breisch sold his farm to David Thomas in 1847, he and his wife moved to Allentown.
The home has been converted into a duplex.
Address: 231 Bridge St
Name: Oscar H. Stine
Year built: 1901
Oscar was educated as a lawyer, graduated from Muhlenberg College, and passed the bar in 1886. He practiced in Witchita, KA for a year before returning to the Lehigh Valley, practicing in the firm Stine & Stine in 1887. His father was from Fogelsville; his brother was to become became Prothonotary of Lehigh County. In 1890, Oscar became a partner with his brother in R F Stine and Bro, a liquor distributor. The business began as Stine and Kramlich in 1872 and was located next to the Phoenix Fire Company and Town Hall at 122-124 Church Street. In 1893, Oscar married Ada F. Colver of Allentown, and they lived above the business on Church St until moving here in 1901. Oscar became treasurer of the Phoenix Fire Co in 1898. He also served on the Board of Health and was an organizer and director of the Lehigh National Bank. He and his wife were active in Holy Trinity Memorial Lutheran Church. In 1912 Oscar bought out his brother and became the sole owner.
Census records show Oscar and Addie had two daughters, Marian and Catherine, and as with many of the large homes in the neighborhood, there was also a housekeeper who lived on the premises. Oscar died at age 83 in 1944. Addie outlived Oscar and lived in the house until the 1950’s. She died in 1958 at age 93.
The next residents were the Amedio Pantoni family, 1959-1992. Amedio died in 1992 and his wife Angelina in 1988. Born in Italy, Amedio worked as a miner, blacksmith. and in construction for Lehigh Coal and Navigation Co in Lansford, then opened a luncheonette, and afterward Pantoni and Sons grocery in Summit Hill. Locally he worked for Leon Kulp Construction (who lived at 326 Bridge) from the 1980s to 2002. The Pantoni’s had five children.
Other Site History: This 1900 Queen Anne Victorian sits on a property initially part of an 8 acre tract with the first known deed dating to 1811 when it was deeded by Sheriff’s authority to Nicholas Kramer. By 1847 this parcel had become one of many owned by David Thomas but was later deeded to the Fuller family, who had several residences in the borough. In 1899 the deed for the land on which the house is built was deeded from Orange Fuller (residence at 235 Bridge Street) to Oscar Stine for $3,000. which suggests that Fullerr built the home. The house was listed for sale in 1959 for $15,900 after the death of Mrs. Addie Stine.
Architectural Notes: This Queen Anne was recently restored and updated, but retains many of the original features untouched by time including gasoliers, stained and leaded glass windows, intricate parquet flooring and original fireplaces.
Address: 235 Bridge St
Name: Orange Fuller
Year built: 1865
Built by: Orange Fuller
Orange Fuller was a real estate developer of West Catasauqua (Pleasant Hills) and later operated O. M. Fuller Co, a book and stationary store at 407 Front St (previously Fuller & Schlauch). He was also employed as a teller at the National Bank of Catasauqua, served on Borough Council, and attended Wyoming Seminary.
The Fuller family line in America dates back to Edward Fuller, who came over on the Mayflower. Orange’s ancestry was Edward – Samuel – John – Joseph – Joseph – Jehiel – Chauncey – James (his father). Orange’s father James W. came to the LV with construction of the Lehigh Canal, working for the Lehigh Coal & Navigation Co. His grandfather, Chauncey, moved to Catasauqua, following his eldest son J. W. Fuller. Chauncey served as Justice of the Peace from 1855-1865. His uncle C. D. Fuller also moved here, building a home on Bridge between Crane and Fourth, which no longer stands. Orange’s father James W. Fuller was a founder of the Lehigh Wheel and Axle Co. Orange died in 1902 at home.
Much has been written on the Fullers in Catasauqua: their military history, Catasauqua lineage, along with the other family homesteads which are covered in other walking tour sections.
Other Occupants: Willard B. Fuller, son of Orange & Jane (Glick) Fuller was employed in the family business, Willard B. was a graduate of Lehigh in 1898 and a member of Grace Methodist Episcopal Church of Catasauqua. Williard B. resided at the family home till his death in 1957.
Other Occupants: Rowland T. Davies & Annie Fuller, daughter of Orange & Jane (Glick) Fuller.
Rowland T. Davies married Annie Fuller, daughter of Orange and Jane Glick Fuller, and entered the Davies family business, Davies and Thomas Co foundry, where he served as VP till 1909. He was also an officer of the LV Electric Co, successor to EL&P Co of Catasauqua, a director at Wahnetah Silk, the National Bank of Catasauqua & the Catasauqua Building and Loan. He served on the Fairview Cemetery Association and was president of the Board of Trustees for the Grace Methodist Episcopal Church. He was a member of the Porter Lodge and Catasauqua Club.
Rowland T. Davies’ marriage to Annie Fuller was the second marriage for Rowland: his first wife, Mary Anne Lambert died 3 weeks after their wedding. Rowland and Annie lived at 234 Bridge till their deaths in 1933 and 1940, respectively. Roland was considered a bit of an alcoholic.
Architectural Notes: Built in the Federal style, the house could be termed “half a Federal” as it is only three bays wide (instead of five) and has only two projecting dormers (instead of three). The brick house has a Victorian style octagonal, two-story, bay windowed ell on the east side. At one time, there was a porch across the front which hid the recessed front entrance, pilasters, flat entablature, leaded glass sidelights and transom. The greenhouse addition on the west side was previously a side porch.
The inside has been significantly renovated and updated several times.
Address: 303 Bridge St
Name: Lawall House
Year built: 1869
Built by: Lawall Bros
Jacob S. Lawall was born in Hecktown in 1832, son of Peter Lawall (dec’d 1879 Butztown) attended school in Farmersville, and apprenticed with his brother as a druggist in Easton. The two brothers bought the drug business of a Mr. Brunner, on Front St in 1856, then later built 409 Front St and moved their drugstore there. In 1858, they installed a 50inX80in plate glass window in the store front, which was a huge curiosity as it was the largest pane of glass in Lehigh County at the time. Lawall married Catherine Buss in 1857: they had seven children. He built this home in 1869. Two of his sons, Charles and Edgar, carried on the family drug store into the 1900’s. The 1885 Catasauqua Borough directory (below) lists the Lawall’s living here then. Note the house number pre1896 was shown as 260, which was a typo – the 1887 directory corrected this to 206.Bridge, and it became 303 in 1896. Edward’s address at 130 is also incorrect in this 1885 directory.
The Lewis family lived here after the Lawalls: William G and Margaret A and their chilldren Lydia and Margaret E. William was a partner with Morgan Emanuel Sr in the Emanuel and Lewis Co, who provided blasting servies and materials. After Mr Lewis’ death, Margaret A and Lydia continued living here through 1910. The home was likely converted into apartments during this period.
Mr and Mrs Herman A. Kostenbader lived in one of the apartments here from 1915 though at least 1948. He was one of the Kostenbader Sons who carried on the brewery business upon his father’s (Herman) death. He was married to Helen M. Roth of Allentown. In the 1929-1930 directory, this was the home of Harry & Jane Seaman, Jr. who would move to 326 Bridge St in 1940. In the 50s, this became the the home of Mrs Anna M Walker, widow of Edward L Walker, proprieter of the Eagle Hotel until his death in 1933. Anna succeeded her husband at the Eagle Hotel bemoving to 225 Mulberry St and finally here. Anna died here in 1956 at the age of 93. Her daughter Anna M, continued to live here until her death in 1966 at age 61 The younger Anna M Walker was a teacher in the CSD for 41 years, including serving as principal of the Second St School.
Architectural Notes:Currently apartments
For additional residences above the Post Office, see the Business District section above Railroad.