Pine St Residential between Second and Third
Address: 226 Pine St
Name: Catasauqua Club
Year built: 1868
Built by: Morgan Emanuel
Morgan Emanuel quarried and supplied ore to Crane Iron and others and was a stockholder in the Thomas Iron Co. He was one of the early residents of the Welsh community here, a founder of the first church, the first elected “street commissioner”. He died in 1884.
He was born in Wales in 1805 and worked as a seaman until becoming engaged with the iron works in Dowlais, Wales, contracting and furnishing supplies. He came to Pottsville as a mining contractor in 1844 before moving to Catasauqua in 1846 where he inspected ore for the Crane furnaces and supplied ore to the Crane and other furnaces in the area. He became a stockholder in the Thomas Iron Co.
He married Elizabeth Miller and built the elegant home on Pine St. One of their children, Margaret, later subdivided the property and in partnership with others, built the multifamily homes on either side. He was a member of the Presbyterian Church and died in 1884. Elizabeth died in 1894 and they are both buried in Fairview Cemetery.
Morgan Emanuel, Jr. a son from his first marriage in Wales, worked in the mines in Wales, then followed his father to Catasauqua, where he returned to school, before going to work at the Lehigh Crane Iron Works and learning the blacksmith trade, and then worked in the railroad shops of the LV Railroad. Morgan, Jr, married Margaret Lewis of Mauch Chunk in 1855. He helped build the Thomas Iron Works in Hokendauqua as head of the blacksmith shop there. He later supplied furnace furnishings for the Crane, became the Cranes agent for supplying limestone, and opened a quarry to supply stone for the construction of furnaces 3 & 4 at the Hokendauqua plant.
In 1861, Morgan Emanuel, Jr. introduced dynamite to the Lehigh Valley and was the first to introduce “Magneto” (combination of Leyden jar and electric batteries) for firing fuses. He received patents for blasting powder (using Chile saltpeter) and started a business with William E. Thomas manufacturing blasting powder in a facility on the west side of the river by the Race St Bridge, using patents he received patents for the use of Chile saltpeter. He partnered with William R. Thomas. Emanuel, Lewis & Company/ Emanuel and Son supplied powder and other explosives to local mines and quarries until his death in 1901. One of the early users of the magneto and electric batteries was for firing fuses. He traveled as agent for Smith & Rand Powder Co of NY and Rand Drill Co, with office in Denver, furnishing blasting powder for construction of the Union and Pacific Railroad from Cheyenne to Ogden.
In 1863, Morgan, Jr. served in 38th PA Volunteer Infantry during Civil war. He owned the Crystal Hill Dairy farm in Northampton, and he and his son David (born in 1865) operated Crystal hill Creamery on 2nd St.
He was a member of the First Presbyterian Church of Catasauqua and became a Ruling Elder there. The family later owned a home at Third and Strawberry.
David, son of Morgan Sr, went into partnership with his father in the Crystal Hill Dairy and Creamery. David organized Emanuel & Co for the manufacture and crushing of blast furnace slag for roofing and concrete aggregate and did general contracting for the furnaces. He married Winifred Williams, who was the daughter of Oliver Williams (616 2nd St) and the sister of Jessica (Williams) Holden. Winifred, George was her cousin, son of John & Emma.
William, born in Catasauqua in 1860, followed his father Morgan, Jr. in the powder business. William studied chemistry at Lafayette College and was appointed to the position his father held as general agent for Lafin and Rand Powder Supply, with his headquarters in Denver. He also engaged in general mine and mill supplies for various companies. While visiting the family home at Third and Strawberry for his father’s funeral, he became ill and died a month later. The Emanuels are buried in Fairview Cemetery.
Site History: The Catasauqua Club was chartered in 1897 and purchased the Emanuel house in 1900. The club was originally organized as a Bicycle Club; the success of which resulted in the formation and charter of the Catasauqua Club. The Auquasat Club, a young mens social club merged with the Catasauqua Club somewhat later. It was many years before the club opened its doors to women. There are bowling lanes in the basement of the club.
Lots on/surrounding the Emanuel estate on Pine were developed in 1906 by Catasauqua Real Estate, a partnership of George Williams, Rowland T. Davies and Winifred (Williams) Emanuel (daughter of Oliver Williams, 622 Second St). 16 brick homes were built, including the six row homes that flanked the family home on Pine St, homes along Third between Pine & Walnut, and also along Limestone between Pine and Walnut, subdividing the Emanuel lot.
Residents of the row homes were as follows
218 Pine: In 1908, Alexander L Broadhead, a mech eng, and his wife Edith lived at 218 Pine for a short time before returning to the family home at 317 Bridge. Two domestics lived with them here.
Dr Edward J. Rehrig, dentist, and his wife Nellie lived at 218 Pine on 1912. In 1910, Rehrig boarded at the Eagle Hotel. He had an office in the bank building at Front and Bridge and for a few years in the Edgar Building at 527 Front. The Rehrigs moved to 548 Fourth in 1914, and to 603 Pine in 1917.
In 1930, Joseph & Hattie Kane and their son Benjamin lived here. Joseph was a principal in the school system and his son was a teacher. In the 1950’s, this residence was the office of Dr. Carl J. Newhard, who practiced out of 119 Pine St earlier.
220 Pine: From 1906-1908, Mrs. M E Hornbeck and Helen Hornbeck resided here. Mrs Mary Laubach Hornbeck was the widow of Dr. Molton E, and mother of Dr James Hornbeck who practiced at the corner of Bridge & Limestone St. She and her daughter moved here after her husband died in 1905, and her son and his wife (Helen Thomas) took over the Bridge St home/office. Helen married in 1908 and moved outside of Mauch Chunk. Mrs M E Horbeck died in 1920. They are all buried at Fairview.
Charles D. W. & Annie Bower moved here in the late 20’s. They were very early residents who ran Bower’s Meat Market on lower Front St.
222 Pine was the residence of Alexander H Bruenn, foreman, his wife Minnie M. daughter Annie L and son Richard. Alexander worked for one of the silk mills in the area. In 1914 he, his wife, and Frank Hammar of Lebanon started Cumberland Silk Co in Lebanon. The business was destroyed a year later in a flood, and Alexander moved on to York, where he supervised 3 silk mills. During a strike there, Alexander was accused of being discourteous to the workers, who demanded his removal, however, the company kept him on. Alexander moved to Lebanon and later York, but his family stayed here, moving to 7th and Chapel (1066 7th). Mrs Bruenn was in charge of St Lawrence’s Red Cross support group and taught girls there to knit items for the cause. Richard became a silk worker, then bookkeeper before moving away. Annie first became a dental assistant, then went on to practice dentistry in NYC. Alexander returned to Catasauqua working as a supervisor, then as a traveling salesman; he died 1927/8. A daughter Minnie was still living with her mother at the 7th street address in 1930. The family came here from Hazelton, where Bruenn was a director of the Hazelton Trade Board, but his experience in the silk business came from Paterson NJ.
230 Pine: The 1908 directory lists Percival Seibert and his wife Lovina as the first occupants of 230 Pine. Lovina. Percival T Seibert was a supervisor at the Wahnetah and later superintendent. They later moved to 520 Second St. Their daughter Loraine was a teacher and daughters Sylvia and Lucille, both students in 1930. The Seibert family grew up at 204 Front. Mrs. Asalena Seibert passed away there in 1907. Percival’s brother Milton and his wife Cora lived at 738 Third.
Afterward, this was the home of Mr & Mrs Edward Zieser. He was employed by the Wint family for many years as a chauffeur. The Zieser’s moved here from 1031 Howertown Rd (where Mr Ziegler had repeatedly tried to obtain a liquor license to open a hotel, but was denied due to neighbor resistance. In 1942, their daughter and son-in-law (Mabel & Clarence J Desch), moved in here with them from Allentown. Mrs Zeiser was a daughter of Phaon and Mary Ann Hahn – Phaon was a blacksmith for the Davies and Thomas Co (committed suicide at age 46).
232 Pine: A R Frey and his wife Clara were the first occupants of 232 Pine; Frey was a superintendent at Whitehall Portland Cement. Co. Catherine and Michael Cunningham, watchman, and family moved here from 731 Third around 1920. Michael was previously a fireman (railroad). Cunninghams were still here in 1930.
234 Pine: Rowland Thomas (See 545 4th St) and his wife Clara were the first occupants of 234 Pine. Roland Thomas was a son of James & Mary Ann Thomas who lived at the corner of 4th and Pine and grandson of Hopkin Thomas and Daniel Davies. They lived here until their deaths in 952, 1959 resp. Roland took over as president of the DandT Co upon his father’s death, serving on the Board afterward.