100 Block Of Front Street

Address: 101 Front St

The 100 block of Front Street extends from Union Street to Mulberry Street.  Any ads, directories records from before 1896 likely had different street numbers than today.  The 1896 Sanborn maps provide a reference for converting old street numbers to current street numbers.  That said, there may have been even different numbers back in the 1860s relative to the later part of the 1800s.  This seems to be a particular concern with this section of Front St.

Deily operated a general store on Front St at the corner of Union, 101-2 Front St, at least as early as 1885, and until his death in 1940. The building shown (with trolley passing by) has a sign advertising Deily Coal, and it was likely where folks came to pay their coal bill (the coal yard was at the lower end of Union).  He later also sold wood and cement and owned many properties in town, so folks would also come here to pay rents.  See the Deily Home at 2 Race St in the Biery’s Port Historic District Walking Tour for more info on this colorful resident.  The third floor was a hall that was used by various clubs.
Other parts of the building were rented as apartments.  During WWII, many of the apts were rented to wives and children of those serving overseas.

Address: 104 Front Street – NW corner of Front & Union
Name: Hammersly/Imhoff house
Built by: R. Clay Hammersly

During the 1870’s, William Sacks established a large cigar and tobacco trade here which he operated until his death in 1912. It has remained in the Sacks family. Hattie Ashdown was listed as a domestic here in 1908. Henry Swartz worked for the firm here as a cigar manufacturer from 1866 to 1884, before opening his own shop behind the Eagle Hotel on Bridge St. Swartz died in 1896.

Hammersly came to Catasauqua in the 1850s as a teacher in the Grammar School and was principal at the high school from 1863-1865. Born in Dillsburg, York County, PA, he graduated from Gettysburg College. After teaching for several years in his native county, he moved to Allentown where he taught school. While teaching there, he registered as a law student with James S. Reese, being subsequently admitted to the bar with Capt. A. B. Swartz. He served as borough Solicitor and Justice of the Peace for the Second Ward (1865-1895), during which time he became prominent,taking a leading role in Catasauqua affairs. He was an original member of the Fairview Cemetery Association and a member of the school board for 7 years beginning in 1866. He was a Notary Public and did extensive business in life and fire insurance. He was married to Anne M. Welty of Gettysburg and they had three children: Dr. Wm Hammersly of Philadelphia, Alice, a trained nurse, and another daughter Annie, who lived at home at the time of his death (1898). In 1908, this was still the home of his widow Annie M and daughter Annie C.

Other Occupants:
This was the childhood home of Tony Imhoff, a local historian whose collection of pictures left to HCPA contributed greatly to this and other recent histories of Catasauqua.

Address: 11 Union

Anthony and Barbara Imhoff and their son Arnold lived at 11 Union circa 1930 into the 1960s. Garry Trexler remembers falling thru the ice on the canal and being taken to the Imhoffs at 11 Union to warm up. Folks skated right at the foot of Union St, but he was testing the ice above this.

Address: 106 Front St

This was the home of Aaron and Mary Boyer Glick who moved here from Howertown in 1866. Aaron farmed in Howertown before moving here in 1866. He died in 1873 and a large memorial was erected in Fairview Cemetary for him by his children.

Their son John J. Glick took over the homestead afterward; he was a veteran teller at the National Bank of Catasauqua and died in 1907. He was also a charter member of the Phoenix Steam Fire Company, for which he served as treasurer.

Their son George worked at Heckinger’s drugstore before attending pharmacy school and joining Smith Kline in Philadelphia. He later operated a pharmacy in Pittston where he married and lived until his retirement. In 1917 George returned to the family homestead here where he remained until his death in 1935.

Son Thomas B Glick, lived to be over 100, dying in 1924 He fought in the civil war (under Capt Harte), farmed in Howertown and Hanover Twsp, ran a boot and shoes shop in the Fuller block, and opened a furniture and mantle company in Tennessee with his brother-in-lawl Thos Price and Mr Meisner.

Son Austin Glick became an attorney here in Catasauqua; he practiced and lived with his wife Vina at 527 3rd in the Mansion District. Their daughter Jane married Orange Fuller (235 Bridge): they had two children, Willard and Annie (married Rowland Davies).

Mr and Mrs Earl Hultsch lived in the Glick property after George’s death.

Address: 109 Front St

Initially a dwelling, the 1885 directory lists this as the home and dress shop of Elamanda V. Fogel. In 1904, David J. Beck founded a plumbing establishment here. Frank C. Beck succeeded his brother and moved the business to Pine St. above Howertown.

George Bartholomew, a bookkeeper for the Catasauqua Brewery, moved here in 1905. The 1908 directory lists George and Edna living here along with Fianna, widow of John H. Bartholomew. The 1930 directory lists George & Edna Bartholomew then residing at 209 Front St. Mr and Mrs Roberrt Clader lived here in the 30s; Clader was employed at the Davies and Thomas plant on Race. In the early 40s, it was the home of James Ludwig and Rose Geiger Ludwig, daughter of Mr adn Mrs Frank Geiger, 135 2nd St, In the late 40s, it was the home of the Oplingers, followed by the Kowalchuks, who sold the home to the Breitfelters in 1957.

Address: 111 Front St

The 1890 directory lists this as the home of Aaron Bast, a carpenter. Bast helped erect the first furnace here, then became boss carpenter for the Crane, moving here in 1845.. He left the Crane to farm, but returned to Catasauqua to build homes. He also was a tax collector for the state and county and a county commissioner (c.1884). He was a long time member of the Catasauqua Odd Fellows lodge and passed away in 1895 at the age of 77.

Address: 113-115 Front St
The double dwelling of 113-115 Front was owned by Charles F Beck; it stayed in the family after his death in 1910.

In 1912 ladies were invited the fall opening of the A E Schieler Millinery Parlor to view the latest creations in hats at 113 Front St in Catasauqua.
There were many apartments in this large double. In 1908, Eugene J. Everitt, a carpenter, resided here with his wife Savannah. In 1912, Wm Davis, surveyor, lived here. In 1917-20 Constable J I K and his wife Geneva C (Bohm) Swavely lived here. Also in 1917, Charles Wm Spangler, an employee of the Keuhner Bakery, resided here. In 1921, Wm Lauer lived here. He worked for the Crane and lost his right leg above the knee in a work accident.

The double was part of the Charles Lenhart estate, and ownership was split in the 1940s with 115 Front going to David E Snyder; 115 Front became Snyder’s Grocery Store. The store was conducted by Charles and Mabel Ackers who lived on the premised until Mr Ackers became ill.
In 1921, highgrade Belgian hares could be purchased at the rabbit coops out back.

Address: 117 Front St

In March 1908, the Allentown Leader reports the James Ziegler family moving from 117 Front here to North Catty; and Mr and Mrs William Ritter, Jr moving in here, presumably before it became the cobbler/tailor shops. The 1908 directory also lists”.Young, Oscar C, cobbler 117 Front, res 703 Race. Annie P.” Oscar Young purchased the property in 1905, moving his cobbler business here. He and his wife Annie lived at 703 Race, in a new home they had built in 1900 (in 1900 Oscar lived at 31 Front). Both Oscar and Annie were deaf mutes. In 1904 they hosted the Pennsylvania Society for the Advancement of the Deaf at their home, during the 18th convention. Oscar was the son of Mr and Mrs Benneville Young of East Catasauqua.
A 1908 directory lists Ramsey Van Elten running a tailor shop at 117 Front; he resided in West Catasauqua. This was presumably in the 115 1/2 side of the building.

Before Young purchased 117 Front, the retail space was occupied by Beck, the plumber, the building owned by Squire A C Koons . Schick and Hausman Plumbing was advertised at 117 Front St beginning in the early 1890s, before they moved to 115 Bridge St in 1895. Curiously, the Sanborn maps list no 117 Front St prior to 1896. Schick and Hausman provided commercial systems to many school buildings.

An 1897 ad: “WANTED Two pantaloon makers at 117 Front St, Catasauqua, at once.”
From 1885-1897, a small office stood on this spot that was the early law office of H Clay Hammersly, numbered 125 Front.
By 1908, it was replaced with a double structure: 115 1/2 and 117, housing a tailor and a cobbler, respectively.

Address: 110 Front St

Early post offices generally were where the appointed postmaster lived or worked, as opposed to having a designated building. The first postmaster was Samuel Colver appointed in 1844 at a time when the town was known as Craneville. The first post office, pictured here, was located at 110 Front St (current numbering, early number was 116).

When Nathan Fegley was appointed postmaster in 1846, the office moved to the corner of Front and Church St, coincident with the change in the town’s name to Catasauqua. Other locations along Front St that housed the post office were the American Hotel where Solomon Biery was postmaster from, 1885-81, 232 Front St, and 507 Front St. In 1889-1907 the post office moved into the Swartz Building at the SE corner of Front & Bridge (building no longer stands), in the 400 block of Front St. The first building built to house the post office was on the north side of Bridge St, recently the site of Borough Hall. During the depression, the WPA built the current post office.


Address: 116 Front St
Name: Dr. Heckenberger
Year Built: 1850

Dr. William A. Heckenberger, Sr. (died 1914) was a veterinary surgeon, and this was his office. His son William became a pharmacist and operated a drug store at 145 Front St. After Dr Heckenberger’s retirement, this was the home of Mr and Mrs James Ziegler. In 1914, Joseph Savitz opened a cobbler shop here.

In 1928, this was the home of Mrs. Schaneberger. Before moving here, she ran an ice cream and confectionary shop in the “Fisher Building” on Front St above Walnut. In 1939 it was the home of the John Regits family., who welcomed a baby boy that year. In 1941 Anna Eckert Young, widow of Oscar, passed away, while residing at 116 Front.
Dr Heckenberger, Sr and his wife Nancy (Carney) Heckenberger lived at 112 Front. Mrs Nancy Heckenberger died at 112 Front in 1903 and he died in 1910. Lizzie Osterhaus lived at 112 as a domestic after Mrs Heckenberger died.

Address: 118 Front St
Name: G. F. Wolfe’s Factory Shoe House/Ostheimer’s

Over the years, the Catasauqua Dispatch carried many small ads for Wolfe’s shoe store sprinkled through out the paper. The picture advertisement shown more likely came from an ad circular, like a calendar. Wolfe lived in Allentown and had a larger store there and also one in Hazleton. The boots & shoes business operated here at least from 1885-1912, as per the borough directories, though Mr. Wolfe died in 1909. It had various managers over the years: The 1890 directory lists Daniel & Susan Custard, daughter Catherine, who ran a boot and shoe store, home above, at 128 Front (the old number for this address). Katie Kleppinger was listed as mgr in the1900 directory.

According to the Sanborn maps, there was never a 132 Front St. However, this address was used by Henry Ostheimer for his Boots, Shoes and Slippers store. A newspaper noted that Ostheimerr’s was located at the original ‘stand’ for Wolfe’s shoes, which suggests that it was at 128 Front (later to be renumbered as 118 Front). Daniel Custard sold boots and shoes out of this home/business property in 1890. Ostheimer was here from 1891 to 1904, then moved to Front above Pine, into 609 Front.
In 1926, George and Mary Urbanek operated a grocery and meat market here, residing on the premises. In 1928 &1930, Joseph & Mary Belis were the proprietors.

Address: 120 Front St
Name: Schneller – Leikel – Benner’s Restaurant
Year Built: 1875

In 1888, John P. Schneller, holder of a patent for a Hot Air Radiator, had a store here selling stoves, tin and agate ware, and jobbing as a tin-smith. He started his tin smith business in Catasauqua in 1880, moved to Kansas, came back east to Lambertville, returned to Catasauqua in a shop at Limestone and Raspberry, left for Emaus, then returned for good. John and his wife Elizabeth lived above the store. In 1908, this was listed as the business of Schneller, John P, stoves and tinware, and the home of John, his wife Elizabeth, and the following children: Stanley G., Ella, stenographer, Jennie M, student, and William H, student. Schneller’s father was an early businessman in Catasauqua and operated a similar business in the 500 block of Front in addition to investing in building lots throughout the community. His son Stanley clerked here and also was involved in the baeball leagues c1910. His son William was a lawyer in town, residing here.

In 1926 Fred W. Leickel ran a residential electrician services and fixtures sales business first out of his residence on Howertown Road, then out of 120 Front St until 1947. 120 Front featured a showroom and the family lived upstairs. With his son John, F. W. Leikel and Son moved the business to 621 Front St and expanded into the industrial market.

Originally at 427 Front St for 10 years, Benner’s Restaurant was relocated to 120 Front St in 1948. They specialized in Pennsylvania Dutch Cooking, serving pies, platters, sandwiches, BBQ and homemade soups. Benner’s also featured an ice cream parlor selling Hershey’s ice cream.

Address: 122 Front St

Site History: In 1858, the School Board leased a three story building on the Corner of Front and School – for a school. The 1873 map shows a large three story building on the SW corner, current location of 122 Front St. This smaller residence was built in 1875.
The building later became the residence of C Frank Hunsicker, then his son, Frank Hunsicker, Esq, at least into the 1930s.. C Frank Hunsicker and GBF Deily were huge trolley fans. In 1908, they took a 2400 mile vacation to St Louis and back, traveling by trolley – and train where trolley’s weren’t available. In 1910 they went out west adding anouther 3200 miles to their total of 35000 miles. Frank worked as a butcher for CDW Bower, whose slaughter house was on Canal St, on the NE corner of Mulberry. Frank’s wife Ellen died and soon after, their two sons died at an early age: William in 1913 at age 39 and Charles in 1916 at age 31.
After his death in 1930, it was the home of his sister, Mrs Sarah Horn, widow of A Benton Horn. Her daughter, D Florence, married Reuben J Butz (pres of Allentown Natl Bank).

Address: 124 Front St

The 1885-1890 directories lists this (then 140 Front) as the home of Elizabeth Wert, widow of Samuel Wert, and the home of Mifflin H. (agent for the LVRR station) and Caroline Minnich. The 1887 directory indicates that in addition to this being the Minnich’s home, Mrs. Minnich also ran a confectionery here. Mattias Coleman and his wife Anna ran a corner store here in the 1890s. Their son Benjamin (oldest of 12 children), helped with the store here from the age of 12 and went on to open Coleman’s Department Store in Northampton in 1900, which operated for over 35 years. Caroline Minnich and Elizabeth Wert owned 124, 126 and 128 Front, but lost them all in a Sheriff’s sale in 1897.
The Solt’s lived here in the early 1900s; in 1916 Ralph Solt won first place in a contest for best decorated home during the 4 County Firemans Association convention and parade hosted by the local hose companies in the borough. Ida Solt was the daughter of Mrs Eliza Weaver, who passed away here in 1916 at the age of 84 (widow of Jesse Weaver). Ida was a sister of Benjamin Weaver, Mrs Amanda Seem, and Mrs Henrietta Heilman, all of Catasauqua.
After the Solt’s, it was the home of the John Kullhamer family. John ran a blacksmith shop in Coplay before moving here and working for the Wint Lumber Co. He passed away in 1936.

Address: 126 Front St
Name: Helman family and Helman & Son Grocers

The 1885 directory lists this as the home of Alice Helman, who ran a dressmaking business out of her home; the home of Abraham Helman, a partner in Helman & Son grocers (George lived in San Antonio, TX); Jennie and Laura Helman, both teachers, and Susie Helman. The Helmans moved here from the upper Lehigh, where Abram Helman was a wheelwright and contractor who built many saw-mills and coal breakers near Whitehaven, Hazelton and Wilkes Barre. The family soon moved to 428 Walnut St. After Laura retired from teaching, she researched and wrote genealogies of the Dreisbachs (her grandmother’s family) and the Drum family (her mother’s heritage).
In 1908, Stanley W. Mann operated a grocery here. He and his wife Mary lived on the premises. (126 Front)

Name: The Cheap Cash Shoe Store

That was how this business was advertised in an 1892 Morning Call. The Excelsior Meat Market also operated out of 126 Front at the same time.

In 1910 Singer Sewing Machine planned to open a branch store at 126 Front under the mgmt of T W Stine of South Bethlehem. However, by 1913, 126 Front was returned to being a dwelling.

Address: 123 Front St
Name: Raub Home & Boarding House
Year built: 1850

This home, on the SE corner of Front & School, was operated by Mrs. Ellen Raub as a boarding house in the late 1800s.

In 1908, the Riegel’s lived here, Clifford H. Riegel, pay teller, his wife Amanda, and dautghter Gabella E, (student). Clifford was the son of Dr. Henry H. Riegel of 27 Front St. Amanda Riegel was the daughter of Wm Younger, of the Younger and Berger mIlls.
Circa 1940s – 1950s, Colonel McGee, who served in WWII, resided here. He received comendation for his service in Japan and led the 688th Automatic Weapons Battalion and batteries in the region.



Address:  125 Front St
Year built: 1869
Name:  Frederick/Golden/Smith
Built by: Clarissa & James W. Fuller, Sr.

This house was built by James Fuller, who resided at 131 Front St, for his daughter, Clara, who married Ogden Frederick. (See Fuller family history – Bridge St Historic Residential District – for more details on the Fullers.) Ogden was a grandson of George and Hannah (Haas) Frederick, both early German families in the area, and son of Owen Frederick (Frederick and Steward Undertakers on Front St). Ogden first assisted his father in the cabinet and undertaker business, then opened his own company, Frederick and Scherer at 208 Front St. He also was a partner in the Central Silk Manuf Co in Seigfried and the failed Catasauqua Silk Mill. He was a cousin to Tilghman Frederick. In 1908, Maria S. Simon was employed here as a domestic, employed by Tillie and Wesley Willoughby. Tillie was the daughter of Clara and Ogden Frederick. Her husband Wesley was a dentist on Bridge St.

The house was later occupied by members of Deily family until 1946. The Golden’s bought it after WW2 – maybe 1950ish. They had about 6 or 7 children, some of whom are still in the area. The father’s brother, Jerry Golden, was Max Hess’s fashion designer. The Golden’s were the last owners of the Lenox Factory on Second, which made button holers for sewing machines. The owner of Biery’s Port Body Shop now resides here with his family.

Architectural Notes:
The formal staircase is lined with lincrusta. Marble fireplace in the front parlor. Stained glass windows. Woodwork includes cherry pocket doors, oak molding and walnut paneling in the downstairs hallway. The kitchen was restored using the original cabinets.

Address: 131 Front St
Year built: 1865
Name: Kostenbader Home
Built by: Clarissa & James W. Fuller, Sr.

See Fuller family history for more details on the Fullers.
One of the founders of the Eagle Brewery, later the Old Dutch Brewery, Herman Kostenbader was born in Pfulliger Germany, came to the US in 1856, served as an apprentice at breweries in Philadelphia, some in Ohio, and Bethlehem, before coming to Catasauqua in 1867 and founding the Eagle Brewery here with Conrad Schaffer. In 1872, Kreutzer bought Schaffer’s share. After Kreutzer’s death in 1876, the business was run solely by Kostenbader until 1902, when his sons joined him in the business. The business continued to operate as Kostenbader and Sons, after his death in 1909.

Architectural Notes:Kostenbader purchased the home in 1903 after the death of Clarissa Fuller, and made significant changes, including the addition of the large columns and portico, Ohio flagstone, a heating system supplied by the brewery and an artesian well.

After the Kostenbader’s this was the home/office of Dr. Fegley who stored medical supplies there for the town as a precaution during WWII.

Address: 137-139 Front St
Name: General Store/National Bank of Catasauqua/Imperial Hotel/Kulp’s Café
Year built: <1858

Originally a general store operated by James Lackey, the property was purchased by the national Bank of Catasauqua in 1858, becoming the bank’s first permanent home. The bank’s first cashier was M.H. Horn, Jr. The store was razed in 1867, and the bank building was constructed on the store’s foundation here. The bank was also the home of the Horn’s, Melchoir, and later his son Frank, who also served as head cashier. Another tenant in the building was Hiram F. Helman and his newspaper, the New Era, successor to the Valley Press, which moved here in 1895 – it closed in 1900. Hiram learned the newspaper business at the Catasauqua Dispatch. He was part of the Helman family of Walnut St.

Architectural Notes:
The original part of this building was a two-and-one-half story store, which was converted into the bank. James Lackey came to Catasauqua from Reading about the time the furnaces were built. He moved to Allentown in 1857 after being elected prothonotary (record keeper for the civil courts) for Lehigh County.
After the bank moved to Second and Bridge St in 1903, the building was sold to Lovine Miller and John G. Sachs, who converted it into the Imperial Hotel and became its first proprietors. The hotel had a mahogany bar in the first floor saloon, offices on the second floor and 75 guest rooms. An ad shows Langhammer as proprieter in the 1890s (still lited as proprietor in the 1908 directory of the borough).

Stanley Mann’s Meats was located inside the Hotel early on.
Kulp’s Café was established here in 1948. The building is currently HUD apartments.

Architectural Notes:
The original part of this building was a two-and-one-half story store, which was converted into the bank. James Lackey came to Catasauqua from Reading about the time the furnaces were built. He moved to Allentown in 1857 after being elected prothonotary (record keeper for the civil courts) for Lehigh County.

Address: 130-134 Front
Name: John Tretch

John Tretch was a machinst at the Crane. The picture was taken from a log book from the Crane documenting work performed in the machine shop for the date indicated. It also served as a payroll reference. Note the shop was still run by Hopkin Thomas, who retired shortly afterward.

Tretch was still listed as a machinist in the 1890 directory of the borough, which also ties him to this residence at 130 Front St (the pre 1890 house number was 146 Front St). After his death in 1897, his daughter Maggie Tretch inherited 130 Front St; and his son William J inherited 130 Front St.. Maggie never married and passed away here in 1920 at age 62.
After William Kuehner retired from baking (217-219 Front St, Kuehner’s Bakery), he and his family moved to 130 Front St. His wife Carrie (nee Guth) passed away here in 1927.

Address: 136-140 Front St
Name: Esch Building

The buildings along here were recently replaced with newer townhouses.
This building was owned by David Esch, and became known as the Esch Building (then #ed 154-158 Front).

Address: 136 Front
Then 154 or 160 Front

Emil Franz operated a barber shop out of this building in 1885; he lived in Whitehall Twsp. By 1885 Swensen Bros furniture makers (Otto and Olof) was here, later O. F. Swensen Furniture. Olof and Annie Swensen moved here from a nearby farm before the turn of the century. After Olof’s death, his family moved to 216 Walnut St.

In 1908, Anna & Nicholas Retzler ran a cigar factory here, living in the rear of the building. Also living here then were John Retzler and his wife Eva. The Retzlers later opened an ice cream restaurant on Second St. In 1914 The American Rescue Workers Mission Hall was dedicated here, under Staff captain Mrs Ballantyne.
Oscar Young moved his cobbler shop here from 117 Front in, then moved from here to Allentown in 1935.

138 Front St
Then 156
The 1885 directory lists C. F Beck operating a general merchandise retail store here. In 1890, it was a Chinese Laundry, run by Sam Lee, who lived on the premises. Joe Lee took over and continued the business here until around 1926.

Address: 140 Front St
Name: Esch Building

The buildings along here were recently replaced with newer townhouses.
This building was owned by David Esch, and became known as the Esch Building (then #ed 154-158 Front).
Edmund Randall opened a printing office in this building in 1870, and went on to create the Catasauqua Dispatch, which he penned until 1914.

In 1890-1, there was a meat market here run by John Gress (of Bethlehem) and Jacob Herzfield, who lived here with his wife Nina. In 1895-6, it was a dry goods and clothing store run by Coleman; moved to 211 Front by 1898.

In 1896, Dory Brader started an oyster saloon here (Esch Building),
in 1900 an ice cream parlor (James Kester), 1902, a fruit market, and by 1913, a restaurant.
Clarence Acker lived here and ran a bakery out of the store front in 1930. Alvin Snyder bought the property from Sachs and rented it to Clinton Fehr, who converted the store and tobacco rooms into ice cream parlors. He continued to carry cigars and tobaccos, but added confectionaries, drinks and ice cream. Clinton J. Fehr and his wife Rose lived on the premises.
Oscar Young and his wife lived in the rear of 136 Front into the 1940s (cobbler shop at 116 Front).

The I.O.O.F. Hall was located in the Esch Building in the 1880s on the third floor.. The Odd Fellows was the oldest “secret” society in Catasauqua, established in 1848.
The Pioneer Band moved from Temperance Hall to the Esch Building in 1901; they moved from here to Kostenbader’s bottling plant in 1909. Gospel meetings were held here in 1902.
In 1929/1930, the Catasauqua Building & Loan Assoc had their offices here: Ralph C. Boyer was secretary. Boyer lived at 414 2nd.

Address: 142 Front St
Name: Wirt’s General Store
Year Built: 1850

Samuel Wirt’s store was located on the corner of School & Front. The store carried dry goods, groceries, provisions, Queensware, wooden and willow ware and notions. The store only dealt in cash, not credit, unusual for corner stores of the time (1870s-1890s).

Mary George ran a dressmaker business out of her home here in 1880. Her husband, Edwin, was a butcher. (Address was then 162 Front).

Address: 144 Front St
Name: Koons & Sachs, Tobacconists

During the 1870’s, William Sacks established a large cigar and tobacco trade here which he operated until his death in 1912. It has remained in the Sacks family. Hattie Ashdown was listed as a domestic here in 1908. Henry Swartz worked for the firm here as a cigar manufacturer from 1866 to 1884, before opening his own shop behind the Eagle Hotel on Bridge St. Swartz died in 1896.

Address: 146 Front St (168-170 Front pre-1896)
Name: A. F. Koons, Esq.

Abraham F. Koons, born in Berlinsville in 1863, was left as an orphan at the age of 8, but with a good mind, he became a clerk in various country stores, and as a young man managed a general store in Coply for Levia Haas, who was the superintendent of the the Coply furnaces as that time.
In 1856, he began a partnership with Clinton Breinig running a store at the corner of Front and Race. After the war, he established his own business at the corner of Front and Mulberry (See 145 Front St). He was a charter member of the Odd Fellows (Fraternal Encampment 156) organized in Catasauqua in 1867.

In 1868, he established an insurance business which he maintained for the rest of his life, joined by two sons, Edwin C. and Albert A. He began with representing six companies, two life and four fire and grew to representing 16 companies. After his death, his son Edwin enlarged the business to include real estate development. His son A. A. Koons left Catasauqua and became a general agent for Eastern Life Insurance of NYC. The A. F. Koons & Sons Insurance Company continued for over 85 years.

A. F. Koons would be elected Justice of the Peace for the borough in 1875, a position he would hold until his death in 1898. His son Edwin C. Koons, clerked in his father’s office, and was appointed to fill out his father’s expired term, and was re-elected after that, serving many terms. Edwin got early industrial training by apprenticing as a machinist at Davies and Thomas foundry where he worked for seven years, followed by two years at the Bryden.
Koons’ Illustrated History of Lehigh County, published in 1885 and authored by A. F. Koons and Heilman, provided a historical record of towns, documented many businesses that existed at that time through ads and contained a photo section of the elegant residences of the time. Edwin C. Koons, Justice of the Peace, insurance and real estate agent, still lived here in 1929/1930 with his sons Carl A. and Edwin H.

Address: 143 Front(store on the right)
Name: Hassler’s Grocery
Year built: 1879

The 1914 history reports that Mrs.Charles Snyder opened a millinery buisness here from 1870-1899. In 1899, Mrs. Annie Schieler and company (company being Mrs. Dr. C. J. Keim) purchased the business. In 1911, the compnay name was changed to A. E. Schelier Co. continuing to produce a wide variety of stylish accessories for women.
An ad from the 1927 CHS Brown and White shows this building later was Erdman’s, an undertaker. Up until this period, embalming and funerals were done in the home of the deceased or the deceased’s family. The embalmer would bring their equipment and supplies to the home; the body fluids were disposed of in the outhouse. The casket would often times need to be brought in through a window opening, if it wouldn’t fit through the doorway. The viewing would be in the home’s parlor.

Charles Snyder ran the business from 1882 until his death in 1892. His widow, Ellen Snyder, took over the business and in 1898 was the first woman granted an undertaker license by the state. She died in 1906. Elmer Erdman bought the business from Charles Snyder’s estate. In 1908, Annie E. Schieler ran a millinery business here at 143 Front (she lived at 742 Front). Schielers Millinery was in the front, while Erdman’s was in the building at the rear of the property. Erdman’s continued to operate here into 1944.

In 1944, Hassler’s Grocery purchased this building from Erdman, and relocated his grocery store here from 203 Front St, leaving Edward Messinger to continue to manage the grocery at 203 Front St. Kenneth Hassler took over the business from his father, Elroy in 1946. Obituary: June Hassler, 86, formerly of Catasauqua, died Saturday December 22, 2012 in Allentown. She was the wife of the late Kenneth Hassler. Born in Catasauqua, she was a daughter of the late George and Mary (Kartje) Gemmel. June was a member of Salem U.C.C. in Catasauqua and was a graduate of Catasauqua High School. She owned and operated Hassler’s Grocery Store in Catasauqua for many years. June also worked for Top Hat Tuxedo Rentals in Whitehall.

A video store operated here for the last couple years before closing in 2016..
There was a hotel on the right side of the building, Schrumpies, which later moved to Second & Mulberry, then to Front St in Coply.

Address: 145 Front – SE corner of Front & Mulberry (building on the left)
Year built: 1859
Built by: Frederick Eberhard

Frederick Eberhard settled at Dry Run in 1832, just north of the borough. At the time, matches were not readily available. Every home had a piece of flint rock, a piece of steel, and some “punk” (inflammable substance). To start a fire, dry punk was laid down and the steel and fire stone stuck together to cast sparks on the punk; one’s elbows often tired before the punk caught fire. So embers from the evening fire were often carefully ‘banked’ in the ashes to keep them alive till the next day. Mr. Eberhard dried small squares of pine wood, and with a knife, split them open in cross cuts about 1/8 in apart so that the block looked like a checker board. He laid slivers between the rows to keep them separate, then dipped the slivered ends in sulphur and phosphorus – making the first sulphur matches available in the community. He sold them in the block to the merchants at Weaversville, Siegfrieds, Laubachs, Catasauqua and Allentown.

The store room on the corner of Front and Mulberry was first occupied by Daniel Davis & Co of Easton as a general store, followed by a Mr. Baird. Mrs. Charles Snyder opened a millinery store here in 1870. Her husband was an undertaker. In 1899, Miss Annie E. Schnieler and Company (with Mrs. Dr. C. J. Keim) purchased the business and changed the name in 1911. The shop sold womens and childrens hats. Miss A. E. Schieler Millinery Company also operated out of 145 Front St in 1914.

Address: 147-149
Name: Heckenberger’s Drug Store

In 1874, the building was purchased and remodeled for use as a drug store (Die Deutsch Apotheke) by William A. Heckenberger, immediately after graduating from the College of Pharmacy in Philadelphia. Before attending college, he apprenticed in a drug store owned by John Black on Front Street above Bridge. The invoice shown is part of the Crane Iron Records (Vince Smith Memorial Collection at the D&L Canal Museum) documenting the horse medicines and linaments supplied to the Crane Iron from the Heckinberger pharmacy. Heckenberger died in 1914, and Dr Lockman, a druggist from Allentown, managed the store for Mrs. Cora Heckenberger until their son, William W., graduated from pharmacy school and took over the business. In 1918, William W. enlisted in the navy and served as chief pharmacist mate on the SS 684. Again his mother, assisted by arranging with a local registered pharmacist to maintain the business in his absence.

In 1920, Mrs Cora Heckenberger bought 601 Front St (previously Laubach Tobacco Store and the Weisley Grocery Store), remodeled the larger building to accommodate the expanded pharmacy business.
William A.’s father (also William A.) was a vetinary surgeon; he lived on the unit block of Race St before his death.

Name: Stano’s Shoes and Shoe Repair

The Stano family was one of many families in town who were struck down by the flu epidemic of 1918. The store entrance was off of Mulberry, in the same building as the drug store.

Schrumpie’s bar was here, next door to Hassler’s (mid 1900s), before moving to Second and Mulberry.

Return To Front Street Main Page